Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Fulling

No longer a Sophie
I've just learnt that what I've been doing is fulling, not felting.

Definition of felting - Fabric made of unspun wool (sometimes with fur and other natural or synthetic fibers) which is matted together with moisture, heat and pressure.

Definition of fulling - A finishing process in which the woven or knitted cloth is subjected to moisture, heat and friction causing it to shrink considerably in both directions and become compact and solid. In heavily fulled fabrics both the weave and the yarn are obscured, thus giving the apprearance of felt.

Well, my fulling has barely begun. I promised pictures previously, I'm sorry it took so long. I've been really busy with work. So, here goes.


This is the bag, unfulled. I really have to get use to this term.


This was the fulling that happened after all that I did to it. I overestimated the shrinkage by quite a bit based on my swatch. Moral of the story? Knits always shrink more length wise, about 30%? And it shrinks only about 80% to 90% width wise. So now I got a 'longish' 60% fulled bag. I took it to my knit meet and was told that it probably needs more fulling. I agree. Now...to find the time and the incentive to dip my hands into scalding soapy water for that 100% fulling process.

Kiki
The puppy that SW rescued, they've decided to keep. I love Kiki, yep that's her name. She is so very sweet, quiet but very mischevious and playful. She's got this wander lust at times, I guess from the time she was a stray, very street smart. Last night, she somehow managed to sneak out of the gate. I think she got hit by a car. SW's bro came back at midnight and found her sitting on the neighbours garden patch looking at him for help. A check found one of her hindlegs has been dislocated. :( We were all very upset by that. She didn't bark or whine. Just waited there. Lucky that SW's bro went out late.

No comments: